Subject: [Leica] Oriental Asians
From: Marc James Small <msmall@infionline.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 17:03:56 -0400

At 05:47 PM 9/21/03 -0700, Eric Welch wrote:
>Not really. A lot of Asians take great offense at being called
>Orientals.

Eric

I have never heard this before and it rather puzzles me.

The term is an old one, dating back to the Mediterranian bias of the Roman
Empire.  From the Roman perspective, the World was roughly divided into the
Occident (the lands of the setting sun)  and the Orient (the lands of the
rising sun).  Whyever would this be racist?

The Orient, as time went on, became subdivided into the Near East,
South-West Asia, India, South-East Asia, and the Far East.

I'll have to ask my Oriental friends about this.  Perhaps they would rather
be called Far Eastians?

Marc

msmall@infionline.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bąs fir gun ghrąs fir!