Subject: Re: [Leica] Oriental Asians
From: frank theriault <knarf.theriault@sympatico.ca>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 17:28:20 -0400

I've heard this before.  Years ago, maybe 20 years ago, William Safire, in his
weekly language article in the NYT Magazine, wrote on exactly this topic.

His opinion was that Asian is more correct than Oriental.  Part of it is for
the exact reason that you mention - "The Orient" being basically anything from
the Near East to the Far East.  Despite that fact, when most say "Oriental" as
regards to people, they invariably mean Southeast Asian or East Asian.  Rarely
would a person referred to as "Oriental" mean someone from India or
Afghanistan.

Asian might then be a bit more accurate.  Or maybe less laden with colonialist
overtones?

For me, the best reason mentioned by Safire is that no one from the west is
referred to as "Occidental".

Ever since then, I've dispensed with the term Oriental to refer to people (but
still, rugs <g>).  No one has ever taken me to task about it, and I don't think
it's a big deal one way or t'other.

BTW, I don't know Latin, but does Orient simply mean "east", and not "rising
sun" as you say?  I do remember that the maxim "ex Orient Lux" means "from the
East comes light"...

cheers,
frank