Subject: Re: [Leica] New Leica Macro-Elmar M 90/4
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 18:39:28 -0700

Jerry Lehrer wrote:

> Mark
>
> After that, those trouser pockets will be empty of cash!
>
> Jerry

Yep Jerry but a part of us is steeped in SLR fetishes one of which
getting the brightest groundglass possible which snaps in and out of
focus like bokeh madness. The magic number is f 1.4. 2 you can maybe
live with depending of course greatly on focal length and 2.8 but 4
starts to sound like you are focusing at the bottom of a polluted swamp.
We'd like to shoot with lighter gear with smaller front elements to not
catch light be we need that bright groundglass. I serious feel that this
reason supersedes though maybe not by much what people pick out because
they really NEED fast, bright of a lens. In lots of cases they really
don't they just want the bright groundglass. And what everyone else in
there pier group has. Which is fixed aperture 2.8 zooms with 77 mm
filters. Getting into Nikon Digital I've gotten into shooting with a 28
1.4 which gives me a 42 mm lens in digital land. 43 is true normal which
there is something to be said for. A lot more breathing space it seems
beyond all logic over a 50. But that's another story. Gel filters in the
back by the way. They give you a a template to cut them out with. Not a
simple square you've got to snip off the edges by 5 mls.

Yep looks pricey to me and worth it. That or the 90 apo asph possibly
the sharpest (sorry Erwin) glass on planet earth.

And 90 is my bread and butter focal length i now have the Elmarit
current as well as the apo Asph. Not to make and Asph of myself. One for
color one for black and white whatever. One for infrared and one for
ultra green.

  But when I'm out walking the 90's get heavy fast they are like lead
pipes. I shoot with the 50 and crop for reach. A 35 feels real normal
the 24 superwide wide as in Biogon.

Biogon - But get a permit.
		And don't forget that everlasting..

Folks: Let's just let Biogons be Biogons.

Oh well i forgot what i was typing about. Cheers.

Mark Rabiner

Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.rabinergroup.com

Message from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com> (Re: [Leica] New Leica Macro-Elmar M 90/4)