Subject: [Leica] Re: French wine
From: Henning Wulff <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 20:52:09 -0700

At 10:18 PM -0400 9/22/03, LRZeitlin@aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 9/22/03 7:34:50 PM,
>owner-leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us writes:
>
><< What French wine did you drink worse than a Californian wine?
>
>  Beaujolais? It had to be a truly cheap wine! Try, next time, a Premier
>
>  Grand Crus Class like a Chateau Mouton or other similar and, then,
>
>  compare. >>
>
>The worst wine I ever tasted was a Chateau Mouton Rothschild. It was on a
>luxury ferry from Oslo to Copenhagen in August 2000. It must have
>been stored for
>years next to the boiler. So it ain't the wine as much as the handling. Good
>storage won't make a bad wine good but it sure as hell will make a good wine
>bad.
>
>Larry Z

So what? I think that a discussion about good wine having gone bad
has little to do with the quality of good wine.

BTW, Californian wine is often a good value in the US. In countries
like Canada, which has to import good wine from other countries, it
doesn't do well as far as value is concerned. Italian, Spanish,
Australian and Chilean wine do much better. In general, French wine
is a lot better value. The decent Californian wine is priced stupidly
(after being taxed and marked up equally) compared with wine from
most other countries. It's almost as silly as buying Canadian
upmarket wines.

- --
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design