Subject: [Leica] Oriental Asians
From: Frank Dernie <Frank.Dernie@btinternet.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 07:22:15 +0100

I think the terminology depends on where one comes from and the
"generic" terms for different racial groups varies depending on ones
own racial group and the ethnical mix of the society in which one
lives. Here in the part of the UK where I live "Asian" means from
India, Pakistan and Bangladesh. An individual seen as an Asian by an
American would probably be referred to as "Chinese" rightly or wrongly.
There are very many people here from the Indian subcontinent (which is
just as Asian as China or Japan) and quite a few Chinese but very few
people from Japan or Korea.
Unless offence is meant we should be less thin skinned about
terminology because these things are very regional and frequently
offence is taken where none is meant.
I am off to the USA and Japan for 3 weeks so will now unsubscribe - I
have been so busy of late I have been deleting most digests unread.
The best of health to all
Frank

Replies: Reply from Jerry Lehrer <jerryleh@pacbell.net> (Re: [Leica] Oriental Asians)