Subject: Re: [Leica] Is digital photography necrophilia?
From: Frank Dernie <Frank.Dernie@btinternet.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 07:53:09 +0100

I like the digital discussions. If I had gone only on what I read on
the LUG I would never have tried a digital. Comparing a P&S digital to
any film based camera is a bit unfair - most, if not all,  of the
sensors are smaller than a minox negative and remember how snooty some
people were about APS negative size! I was impressed by the quality of
the digital P&S we used at work but not the shutter lag, though this is
similar for film P&S as well. I have bought a Canon digital SLR (and a
Novoflex adaptor so I can use some of my Leica R lenses on it). IME
digital beats film in every way, except, perhaps, ultimate resolution
available if one mounts ones camera  on a tripod.
I MUCH prefer my M over a reflex  to use and would have liked to be
able to have a digital "back door" for it (as, some may remember, I
proposed several years ago) but recent info from Leica implies this
would not be possible - even though I have seen somebody proposing the
same on a web site recently even with a graphic mockup. The Olympus
marketing hype about keeping rays perpendicular to the sensor is
obviously technically unsound(if all the rays were perpendicular to the
sensor the image would not be in focus on it obviously) Canon have
started a line of lenses for digital with the rear element further into
the camera than the film lenses (this being possible due to the shorter
mirror) so maybe M lenses will be OK on later generations of sensors.
It is in these areas, rather than more pixels, where digital sensor
research will be most useful)
  Still I will buy the R digital back as long as it lives up to
expectations. I only use film for medium format now.
Frank