Subject: Re: [Leica] Shooting question - an Operating Room
From: "Jack McLain" <jmclainaz@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 08:28:08 -0700

> One more thing - once I've got what I need, am I stuck in there? - these
> operations can go hours I understand.
> Steven

No, it should'nt be a problem leaving (coming back might be). The
Circulating Nurse will often leave for supplies, clinical data, etc.  It is
also not unheard of for the surgeon(s) and Scrug Nurse(s) to leave for
various reasons during surgery, but they would have to re-scrub before
entering the field. Some operations go on for a L O N G time (neuro in
particular) others are over very quickly.

I used to be an OR Nurse in a much earlier incarnation.  All the advice you
have been given is right-on; the primary rule is dont touch a damn thing,
dont trip up on sponge buckets, cables, tubes or wires, if you feel the need
to cough, move to the periphery of the room.  The floors can get wet and
slippery.

Keep an eye out for what the Circulating Nurse is doing.  More often than
not she will be standing or sitting quietly; if she (or he come to thnk of
it) suddenly gets active, there is the possibility that something dramatic
is going on.  OR Staff are very stoic in demonstrating alarm or excitement
so you might miss body language clues that would be evident in less
controlled environments. The activity of the Circulating Nurse is a good
barometer of normality, as is conversation between the Anesthesiologist and
the Surgeon; listen to these conversations for clues.

I would be circumspect about photographing the face of the patient (but that
is obvious I'm sure).

I sould suggest actually speaking with the Surgeon in Charge prior to the
surgery and ask for an explanation of what to expect (and what he expects of
you).  Surgeons are notoriously egocentric, and LOVE to talk about
themselves and the importantce of their work.

good luck
Jack McLain
Tucson, AZ
http://jackmclain-photography.dotcommunity.net