Subject: RE: [Leica] Kodak Focus now ROFLOL
From: "Jim Shulman" <garcia@chesco.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 21:55:23 -0400

That's true.  Look at it this way--the Pennsylvania RR was once one of
the mightiest companies in the US.  Around WWI they could have purchased
General Motors, but instead thought that railroads would remain more
profitable.  DuPont made the investment instead, and to this day
continues as a major shareholder.  Like Kodak, the Pennsy paid dividends
year after year--it was the quintessential "widows and orphans"
stock--until they went hooves-up in the late 1960s.

In the early 1920s the Victor Talking Machine Company, which was the
most successful phonograph manufacturer in the country, could easily
have purchased any number of radio manufacturers.  They ran some tests
in house on experimental sets, but concluded that radio was a fad.  By
1924 the company nearly went bankrupt, a result of their stubbornness.
The public wanted radios, not phonographs, for home entertainment.
Radio provided free music every night, while new songs for the
phonograph required the purchase of new records.  The introduction of an
improved new technology--electrical recording--saved the company for a
while, but the future was clear: RCA purchased Victor in 1929 mainly for
its factories--RCA wanted to produce radio sets in the Victor plants.
The record business was merely an afterthought.

In 1939 CBS was offered for sale to Curtis Publishing, which owned The
Saturday Evening Post, then one of the most successful magazines in the
county (if not THE most successful).  Curtis turned them down, noting
that they were in the magazine business, not broadcasting.

What is surprising is when a company, such as Microsoft, can adapt to
very rapid changes in a marketplace and still come out ahead.  It's
something that few organizations can do effectively.

Very few companies can survive a major shift in technology.  For more
than a century Kodak has been a film company.  They have also produced
other products--some really wonderful--that complement its main source
of revenue.  I recently had the pleasure of using a Cine-Special II
outfit, one of the most beautiful 16mm cameras ever made.  The lenses,
the interchangeable magazines, everything about it is just splendid and
overdone to a fare-thee-well.  I've also used the later 1950s Cine-Kodak
K-100, which has TWO footage counters: one for exposed footage, and one
for the remaining footage that can be driven from wind on the spring
motor!  To get this back on topic, I would strongly recommend any
impecunious Leicaphile to consider a german-made Kodak Retina IIIc/C
camera, which (if you can live with just a 50mm lens) produces some
really incredible images with a camera that can truly fit inside an
overcoat pocket.  I have some 20x30 Retina enlargements that outshine
anything I've ever shot with a Leica.  These days the Retina IIIc/C
cameras are selling for under two hundred bucks in really nice shape.
Try finding a decent 50mm Summicron for that money!

What I won't miss is Kodak's remarkable arrogance.  I've been through
several rounds with them as they fowled up Kodachrome processing, and
when they gave my local camera club the cold shoulder.  In the latter
case, Big Green more than accommodated our needs, and I was able to
shoot 4x5 Velvia as a trial.  I've been a loyal Fuji customer ever
since.

Now, if only Fuji would produce some K-14 films.....

Jim Shulman
Bryn Mawr, PA