Subject: Re: [Leica] Fw: KLH [was:That's Kvetch With a "K"]
From: "A. Lal" <alal@duke.poly.edu>
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2003 03:26:26 -0400

By the 70's Kloss was long gone from KLH. You are probably thinking of the Advent receiver. Kloss founded Advent which made mostly
low priced components.The Advent speaker was the company's bread and butter product, but they also made electronics and a cassette
recorder.

The Advent receiver did have a rotary tuning dial, just like the early KLHs, but FM tuning was accomplished by means of a simple
3-gang variable capacitor, not varactor diodes.Its build build quality was poor, and QC non existent. I bought one from Sam Goody's
in NY only to have it die a few weeks after purchase.Goody's sent it in for repair and after it came back it died again. After the
second repair I sold it and got something else. I understand they now sell for quite a bit on the second hand market, mainly because
of the very good phono preamp.

Advent was a successful company, but Kloss poured most of its profits into developing a home projection TV system which he believed
would be the Next Big Thing. These R&D expenses eventually bankrupted the company. In the '90s Kloss founded Cambridge Soundworks.