Subject: Re: [Leica] Don's PAW 41 Calla Lily
From: Afterswift@aol.com
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2003 01:25:09 EDT

In a message dated 10/10/03 8:56:13 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
Gary@Marklund.com writes:

> "The OOF is a bunch of
>  candles in the background." Since they do appear to be lit, I guess you
> could
>  say they have been manipulated.
- ---------------------------------------
I've shot OOF candles in the background with Leica M lenses and I never got
that effect. Somehow there was always a glow on the neg, not a perfectly
geometric diffraction of the aperture blades or whatever it is. I think the
operational word you used is 'appear.' What is even more interesting is that uniform
black background in the presence of burning candles. Try to do portraiture lit
by out of focus candles in the background and you'll see what I mean. It
doesn't square with my experience. A detail doesn't wholly disappear in the ken of
a Leica M lens. The uniform diameter of the OOF objects is also odd.
The elements in the image are just too pat. The brightly lit flower's
lighting, where did it come from? Extra development?

As for personal remarks, let's be gentlemen. Life is too short to be
otherwise.

br

Replies: Reply from Seth Rosner <sethrosner@direcway.com> (Re: [Leica] Don's PAW 41 Calla Lily)
Reply from Sonny Carter <sonc@sonc.com> (Re[2]: [Leica] Don's PAW 41 Calla Lily)