Subject: [Leica] re: priceless comment
From: Kyle Cassidy <KCassidy@asc.upenn.edu>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 18:45:51 -0400

>I really like old fashioned, conventional, wet, chemical,
>metal on plastic image, photography that results in a solid, tangible,
>physical object.  Digital leaves me with the
>suspicion that one day the spell will wear off and we will realize that
>there really isn't anything there.

oh come now, if you want a physical object, print one out and hang it on the
wall!

this is a perfect example of collector vs. creator mentality. the buyer in
the gallery or the editor at the magazine neither knows nor cares what you
used to make your image with. and if you're capable of making a good image,
you won't care either. though i'll forgive you if you still carry your leica
around with you in your camera bag to play with in between shots -- i do it
all the time.

the best example of the durability of digital files is the written word --
it's digital. "digital" copies of shakespeares plays exist in abundance
while their analog origionals are long gone.

& like b.d. i've lost negatives i'd sell his kids to get back.

kc