Subject: Re: [Leica] Anyone been using the DiMAGE 5400?
From: Jim Zietz <jzietz@lsu.edu>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 10:02:27 -0500

> Well you'd think that would be the case if it were actually doing something in
> the scan process. But it doesn't. It just does curves in the same way that you
> do them in Photoshop. Maybe they do as good a job as Photoshop, maybe not.
>
> So I've been scanning with no adjustment and doing everything in Photoshop.

Scanning adjustments should be made in the scanner software if scanning to
an 8-bit space. Even decent film scanners are typically at least 12-bits per
color. SilverFast is able to take full advantage of this. VueScan has
limited feedback to adjustments.

If you are scanning into Photoshop's 16-bit space, no adjustments need be
made in the scanning process.

Color management is a whole other issue.

Just like in the darkroom, it's easy to do mediocre work with a computer and
a printer.
- --
Jim Zietz
LSU University Relations