Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica normal lenses
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 12:02:19 -0700

Jim Zietz wrote:

> I rejoined this group because I am considering getting a new Leica 50 mm
> lens. I was hoping to be able to find this groups opinion on the new
> Summicron 50. I have a 50 Summilux from the 70's that I'm not totally
> thrilled with. My other two lenses are the 35 Summilux-M Asph and the 90 Apo
> Summicron-M, which seem nearly perfect. The 50 just doesn't measure up to
> these.
>
> So, would a 50 Summicron-M be of comparable quality (resolution, contrast,
> etc.)? I'm afraid that if I buy a new lens, Leica will come out with a new
> Apo-Summicron 50 just to spite me. It seems to me that a new 50 is due.
>
> --
> Jim Zietz
>
> --
I have a fairly compleat set of lenses and my 50 was my first lens. I
also have a Noctilux and might get the Elmar but will get the new 90
first. The Summilux i might die without.
I've seen specs which say my fifty which was made ten years ago right
before they came out with the built it lens hood (darn!:) is less then
the newer generation of lenses.
That's the specs.
The reality of the situation is that I'm a fairly discerning
photographer whose default is 11x14 darkroom black and whites who often
goes 16x20 and sometimes in my darkroom 20x24's. AND sometimes color
where i go 30x40 at a rental lab. Of course I'll also shoot slides and
will project them walking right up to the projections and studying them
carefully. I don't miss much. I study grain patterns. And I spend some
time with some fairly good loups on the light table looking both at film
and prints.
My point finally being my old 50 certainly does not stand out in my mind
as a level or even more down from my ASPHs and apo's. I use it with
impunity and often. It does not screw up my contact sheets with
mysterious low contrast images.  I've always thought a 50 is your most
useful focal length and one can not have enough 50's. Like extention
cords. That's just me.

If you get a 50 current and they did come out with a jacked up Asph apo
whatever with a turret in the back for gel filters I'd keep the first
one and have both lenes. They'd both have very distinctive looks (finger
prints) from each other each would be for certain things to shoot. One
would probably be a lot bigger and heavier than the other one you never
know! Like the apsh and pre apsh 35 Summicrons now. Apples and Oranges.
Not for everybody.

I think we are divided as to if a new 50 is even due the current being
the masthead of what Leica is all about and they undoubtedly know it.
Getting rid of this lens would be like Kodak discontinuing Kodachrome.
Or Kleenex discontinuing their useless tissue line. What are they going
to make; those lint remover sticky roller thingies?
"ROLL THAT LINT AWAY WITH KLEENEX!"
nope

Mark Rabiner

Portland, Oregon USA