Subject: Re: [Leica] watching...waiting
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2003 06:31:08 -0700

Steve Barbour showed:
Subject: [Leica] watching...waiting
> fresh from the OR.... the long wait.
>> http://www.leica-gallery.net/barbour/image-54546.html<<<<

Hi Steve,
This may have been mentioned...

The person on the right is a distraction. Actually it's the big Superman "S"
letter on her chest that catches the eye first, then you look at the child
and doctor.

The impact of the picture is lost because of the "S" person and the gap
between her and the doctor. I'd have cropped into the left shoulder of the
doctor to a point just re-moving the dark "hump" behind her shoulder, adding
a "slight" burning down of the child, left side of the frame top to bottom,
and across the bottom holding the viewers eye right to the action,
doctor-patient.

Once again you prove how important eyes are in people picture situations!

We hear with our ears,  the doctor with the "stethoscope." But we listen
with our eyes!!! And that's exactly what this doctor is doing ......
"Listening with her eyes!"

On occasion when shooting or cropping we tend to include "too much" because
of what we "know," in this case the mother on the right waiting. However,
she doesn't matter in this picture because she's hanging off the side with a
big gap between her and the action.  Adding nothing to the impact of the
"action" ...... which is really, doctor - patient.

A good one never the less, all the cropping does is tighten it up slightly
improving what was there in the first place.

ted

Replies: Reply from "Steve Barbour" <kididdoc@cox.net> (Re: [Leica] watching...waiting)