Subject: Re: [Leica] fs: oct 24 2003
From: Eduardo Albesi <eduardoalbesi@ciudad.com.ar>
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2003 01:07:23 -0300

Hi,

I was told some time ago by a Chinese gentleman that the "Rooster"
edition M6 avoided all serial numbers ending in "4", so the correct
total production number of these was a little less than what was
generally inferred from their special serial numbers, that run from
001-300 to 300-300. The total number produced, indeed, was of 268
cameras, with the 300 series lacking the 30 numbers ending by '4'. I
was not able yet to find an explanation for the other 2 "missing"
camera numbers. It may be possible that there were also two normal
production serial numbers with the infaust number banned. They were
produced in 1993 by special order by the Far East Leica Agent to be
sold on the Asian market.

So, if this is a fact, I think you are right, and certainly not the
only one, to take tradition (it is perhaps a better term than banal
superstition in this case) into account.

Best,
Ed Albesi