Subject: [Leica] I think I am engaged to somebody...
From: John Collier <jbcollier@shaw.ca>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 16:40:01 -0700

I ordered the new rewind crank from Leica for my M2. I was expecting,
well, a rewind crank I guess. I am not sure exactly what I got; and, I
am darn sure that I may be engaged to somebody. I hope they're nice.

I assumed a small white box maybe with a leather pouch -- if they were
feeling extravagant. Well it comes in a gaudy silver box (with a black
label) big enough to hold a Minilux; and, it weighs about the same as a
Minilux too. What the H***, I am thinking as I open the silver box to
revel a very high quality box similar to what jewelry often comes in.
Jeez, how many boxes do I need? Open this last box and there it is;
about the size of a genetically enhanced peanut. The reason for the
huge box, and all that weight, is the included jeweler's screwdriver!
All carefully held in high density foam. The last thing to fall out is
an instruction book. Nine (9) pages on how to use a rewind crank.
Repeated in enough languages to make it look like a Barbie telephone
book.

I know you do not believe me. Heck the only reason I believe it is
because it doesn't go away when I rub my eyes. To be polite, I think
Hermes is having an effect on Leica management.

The crank looks very nice indeed. I guess the reason for the delay is
that it has been redesigned from the one illustrated when the MP came
out. The spring loaded knob is out of the way until you use it; and,
the spring loading makes it less likely you will scratch the top plate
as much as the old ones did. I have also ordered one of Stephen's
ex-Magnum ones and I will let you know how they compare when it comes
in.

Any offers on the packaging before I put up on the auction site that
dare not say its name?

:-)

John Collier