Subject: Re: [Leica] something something and now animals
From: John Collier <jbcollier@shaw.ca>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 11:56:31 -0700

I am not a PETA member myself but those I know do a remarkable job of
not living off the avails of animal cruelty. I admire their dogged
persistence and concern about how they live might affect others. I
agree that some animal testing is necessary but certainly not to the
extent that it is practiced now. I welcome the pressure PETA and others
have put on the scientific and cosmetic industries to improve their
practices. I also agree that, as with all radicals, PETA and others
often go to far.

It is an opening into the broader debate of what consciousness and
intelligence are. Should other "lesser" organisms be sacrificed to
marginally improve our life span* (and looks)? Are we the only holders
of these attributes we like to call human? The fact that once you
acknowledge that other organisms may also be sentient makes it
difficult to draw a definite line in the sand does not mean we should
ignore the issue outright.

John Collier

*The most significant factors in our increased longevity are remarkably
simple: ready access to potable water, ready access to food, improved
sanitation and general cleanliness. The rest has had very little
effect. It may make great headlines but not much more than that.

Replies: Reply from "Barney Quinn" <Barney.Quinn@noaa.gov> (Re: [Leica] something something and now animals)
Reply from "Jacques Bilinski & Barbara Bradbury" <jbilin@axionet.com> (Re: [Leica] something something and now animals)
Reply from sam <sam@osheaven.net> ([Leica] OT - something something and now animals)