Subject: Re: [Leica] My Leica M digital solution
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 21:59:12 -0800

sam wrote:

> My 30 year old Voightlander VF135 rangefinder has a 40mm f/2.4 lens, a
> bright rangefinder, is pocketable, has fully automatic and manual modes,
> is easy to use, and achieves impressive pictorial results.
>
> As per Leica's CM description below, in comparison the Voightlander
> lacks a detailed LED display and a semi-rare metal cage.
>
> No matter how many point-and-shoot Japanese cameras, both film and
> digital, Leica markets, all they are doing is lowering the excitement bar
> lower and lower.
>
> Sam S

Sam this would be and interchangeable lens camera system for both film
and digital. Not just another point and shoot camera with a Leica red
dot on it.

Or

Sam the CM has "The LEICA CM has a solid titanium body and is fabricated
with precision craftsmanship in Germany." Not hype as I fooled with it
and it has a feel and look which goes beyond modern point and shoots.
(that's even better hype!) Add interchangeable lenses and it would be
even definitely in a higher class still and would approach Leica M and
LTM class. Why not?
Add a digital body and it could in spunkyneess of use and marketability
leave the M system   behind. The M system has a slew of lenses both
current and historical. And bodies.
The CM as it stands is a YOU pick your aperture and focus it yourself or
deal with auto override (that's how i choose to see it). Go past that
and add interchangeable lenses and you go up another rung still.

The Contax G system is not considered a point and shoot although we on
the LUG argue that point. But lets face it some of the glass there is
impressive. If they came out with a digital body for it it would be hard
on Leica. If the Contax N digital body worked the market would be
different than it is today with lots of Zeiss made in Japan glass being
sold instead of Canons and some Nikons.

The excitement bar would have to be high with a small system of new more
compact Leica glass to use and amass. We could all compare serial numbers!

Mark the serial killer Rabiner

Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.rabinergroup.com

Replies: Reply from sam <sam@osheaven.net> (Re: [Leica] My Leica M digital solution)