Subject: [Leica] Re: The Decisive Moment is gone
From: Andrew Nemeth <azn@nemeng.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2003 06:14:01 +1100

On Friday, October 31, 2003, at 12:00  PM, Leica Users digest wrote:

 > [WPost article that "decisive moment photography" has fallen
 > by the wayside]

 > <http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A31924-2003Oct28.html>

To be blunt, what I call "stunned-mullet" photography is
relatively easy to do - hence its popularity amongst lazy
BFAs.

They don't want to admit this of course, so they dress it
up with layers of waffle and noise:  "engaging with the
subject"; "directness of approach"; "willing cooperation";
(insert favourite Artschool epithet here...).

The main reason I think the "old-fashioned, Leica-toting
image hunter" has become such a rare species today is that
potential photo-subjects (in the west) have become really
- - really - hostile towards candid photographers.  Even the
briefest search of the LUG archives will confirm this.  :?/

So what's a photographer to do?  Bite the bullet and shoot
regardless?  Or slink away into the shadows and do
stuffed-and-mounted shots.  Guess which option is easier
for your average Artschool graduate?...

Regds,

Andrew N.
nemeng.com