Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: The Decisive Moment is gone
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 12:18:32 -0800

Andrew Nemeth wrote:

> On Friday, October 31, 2003, at 12:00  PM, Leica Users digest wrote:
>
>  > [WPost article that "decisive moment photography" has fallen
>  > by the wayside]
>
>  > <http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A31924-2003Oct28.html>
>
> To be blunt, what I call "stunned-mullet" photography is
> relatively easy to do - hence its popularity amongst lazy
> BFAs.
>
> They don't want to admit this of course, so they dress it
> up with layers of waffle and noise:  "engaging with the
> subject"; "directness of approach"; "willing cooperation";
> (insert favourite Artschool epithet here...).
>
> The main reason I think the "old-fashioned, Leica-toting
> image hunter" has become such a rare species today is that
> potential photo-subjects (in the west) have become really
> - really - hostile towards candid photographers.  Even the
> briefest search of the LUG archives will confirm this.  :?/
>
> So what's a photographer to do?  Bite the bullet and shoot
> regardless?  Or slink away into the shadows and do
> stuffed-and-mounted shots.  Guess which option is easier
> for your average Artschool graduate?...
>
> Regds,
>
> Andrew N.
> nemeng.com

I'd say get one of those right angle mirror things for your 90 but then
once they're on the internet it's hells bells. Fear of being portrayed
in any manner visionally on the internet plays a part in it. Any grab
shot face can come back and haunt you. Who the hell needs that it's not
the law that counts as that is in our favor it's the teaming pissed off multitudes.
"Next thing you know you're on the internet."
Once on the internet people assume they're going to have their heads
taken off and put on the bodies of naked Playboy centerfolds. Or worse.

Luckily people on the street has never been my thing in the first place.

Mark Rabiner

Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.rabinergroup.com