Subject: [Leica] OT: Coddled Eggs and Teutonic Houseware
From: Marc James Small <msmall@infionline.net>
Date: Sun, 02 Nov 2003 11:57:07 -0500

Mark

The ultimate "Teutonic Houseware" for those of us with a bent for the
history of photography are the egg coddlers sold by "Martha Stewart" (which
no longer has a significant connection with the REAL Martha Stewart, but
what the hey).

These egg coddlers are manufactured by Jenaer Glasswerke and are authentic
reproductions of the egg coddlers sold by Carl Zeiss Jena before the War.
"Jenaer Glasswerke" is the old Schott und Genosen Jena glassworks, now
restored to the Zeiss Stiftung's fold, so you get a)Schott glass  b)CZJ
design  and c)  the most excellent coddled eggs you can imagine.

HIGHLY recommended.  I recognize that coddled eggs are an acquired taste
but, damn!, they do make a most wonderful meal, with English mufins and a
side of thick bacon and tea.

(For the benefit of the Nikon users in our midst, I should point out that
coddled eggs are soft boiled eggs moved a factor upwards by removing them
from their shells.  That is, the egg coddler is coated with melted butter,
then an egg is broken into it, salt, pepper, and cheese or whatever are
added, and then a second egg is treated to equal indignity on top of this.
8 minutes or a bit less in a pot of boiling water and nirvana is readily
achieved.  The British Royal Worcester company also manufactures a
magnificent line of egg coddlers, but these CZJ ones are more useful, one
rare example of Germanic technology being both simpler and more useful than
someone else's concept.)

Kippered Herring, if you can find them (here, in Roanoke, Virginia, I am
reduced to Pacific-origini Smoked Herring and that is a rare find) also
make a superlative accompaniment to coddled eggs.

Ova in nil tempore magnificier faciuntur!

Marc

msmall@infionline.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bąs fir gun ghrąs fir!

Replies: Reply from Marc James Small <msmall@infionline.net> (RE: [Leica] OT: Coddled Eggs and Teutonic Houseware)