Subject: Re: [Leica] re: The Decisive Moment is gone
From: Daniel Ridings <daniel.ridings@muspro.uio.no>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2003 09:39:37 +0100 (MET)

I am not comfortable with the thought that an accurate slice of life can
be captured in a "strange" environment. If the subjects of the capture are
strangers, we know nothing about them. If we think we have captured
something of a slice of life, haven't we merely projected our own
experiences or prejudices on a visual situation we are confronted with?
That says less about the situation we have captured and its status as a
slice of life, yet all the more about our private conceptions.

But mixing in, blending in, becoming part of the life situation around us
gives us a better chance of capturing moments based on the subjects'
situation. Granted, we never escape our own private conceptions (nor do I
even want to. I prefer to flag them) ... but they are at least interacting
with others, not just playing the deus ex machina.

Daniel