Subject: Re: [Leica] re: The Decisive Moment is gone
From: "Rob Appleby" <rob@robertappleby.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2003 08:00:37 +0100

It does of course - because who is to know whether the person in the picture
is a stranger to you or not? See Helen Levitt's picture of her friend being
ogled by young men in Rome. It is completely immaterial whether the picture
was directed to some extent or not. Similarly, the hoohah over Doisneau's
kiss photos is based on a mistaken premise, IMO. Or, to take an example
closer to home, my own pictures are always taken with the subjects well
aware of the fact that I present and taking pictures - often for days or
weeks at a time. I think they show slices of life as well as any others, if
that is the criterion. All talk that concentrates on method rather than the
final result is missing the point, I think. Any method can only be judged by
how effective it is; it must be leapfrogged over to arrive at the picture.

- -- Rob

http://www.robertappleby.com
Mobile: (+39) 348 336 7990
Home: (+39) 0536 63001

All outgoing email scanned by
Norton AntiVirus (TM) 2003 Professional Edition.