Subject: Re: [Leica] My Leica M digital solution
From: "Michael Chmilar" <chmilar@mminternet.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2003 01:40:17 -0000

Clive Moss <chmphoto@sbcglobal.net> said:

> [...] switch it to Greyscale using Image>Mode [....]  What I do not
> understand is if I am losing information.

To be pedantic for a moment: information has been lost because
it is no longer possible to convert the grayscale image back to
color.

Of course, this is obvious. And, equally obvious is that, if you
convert the image to grayscale using any formula you choose, once
you "bake out" the data as 8-bit per pixel samples, you are in
the same situation. The only difference is that the grayscale pixels
will have different values from one conversion formula to the next.

There are many color->grayscale conversion formulas available. No one
is the "best" for all situations. The 601 and 709 specifications
are designed for television broadcast, so that the Y channel holds
a grayscale signal that is compromised by two (similar) goals: to
provide a pleasant image for viewers on monochrome televisions; and
to provide a good luminance signal, that is overlayed by the color
components, for color viewers.

The Photoshop Image->Mode conversion may be based on one of these
television formulas, and similarly for in-camera mode conversion.
As such, it is probably wise to avoid using this conversion, since
better options, which give more control to you, are available.

(Not to mention that the TV formulas probably don't match the
spectral mix that panchromatic film (coupled with color filters) has.
That's the main reason Image->Mode conversions don't look like b&w
film shots.)

The best thing is to make a "Channel Mixer" layer on top of your
color image, in Photoshop. It not only affords you the ability to
pick exactly the mix of RGB that you want, but you can return to
tweak the mix whenever you want. You should save this as your
"work" file.

With some experimentation, you can probably derive the exact color
mixer settings to mimic tri-x and a tiffen yellow filter, or whatever
you prefer.

However, when you finally decide to "flatten" the image into a
final grayscale for printing, you are throwing away information
your original color shot contains. But, you have more control
over how the data is converted.

Mike

Replies: Reply from Clive Moss <chmphoto@sbcglobal.net> (Re: [Leica] My Leica M digital solution)
Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com> (Re: [Leica] My Leica M digital solution)