Subject: RE: [Leica] re: The Decisive Moment is gone
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2003 09:29:05 -0500

Right on, Tina...
This whole discussion has been quite odd. Directing subjects bears no
relation to what has always been thought of documentary work, or photo
journalism - at least not in the past 30 years or so. Directing subjects
has its place - in art photography, portraiture, etc. But doing
documentary work - if it is not documentary portraiture - involves, as
Tina says, not being there, in the sense of blending into the background
so that you can capture the lives of your subjects as they would live
them were you not present. Of course doing this perfectly is often - but
not always - impossible, but you can come pretty close to it.

Further, this whole decisive moment thing makes little sense. Go look at
HCB's contact sheets. This was a guy really working scenes - shooting
and shooting and shooting, and out of those dozens and dozens of shots
came the one shot that captured the "decisive moment -" to the point
that I would argue that the decisive moment is that instant when the
light bulb goes on and you realize that the scene that lays before you
contains the possibility of an important/worthwhile image.

B. D.