Subject: RE: [Leica] re: The Decisive Moment is gone
From: Peterson Arthur G NSSC <PetersonAG@NAVSEA.NAVY.MIL>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2003 09:33:10 -0500

		I think we all should be able to agree here, no?  Tina is
right, of course: documenting is simply documenting, not directing, which is
rather an exercise in creation.  Fortunately photography would seem to have
room for both.  Just as there are documentary films and creative (or
directed) films, one sees no reason why there should not be documentary
photography and creative (or directed) photography (the latter obviously not
suitable as photojournalism).  Nor should it be hard to agree that
documentary photography is not absolutely pure, that as Tina points out, a
photographer's "very presence alters the situation."  But even so, that's
still a long way from directing the action, as in the other kind of
photography.

		Art Peterson
		Alexandria, Virginia