Subject: Re: [Leica] re: The Decisive Moment is gone
From: John Collier <jbcollier@shaw.ca>
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2003 14:55:01 -0700

Perhaps it is dishonest, perhaps it isn't. I do agree that Rob is
talking about something stronger than I am but then he has been in the
field and I have not. You still are not addressing the fact that often
the presence of the photographer is the catalyst in many interactions
in the world. Interactions that would not have otherwise occurred. I am
not saying photographers/observers cause the world's problems but they
often are the straw that breaks the camel's back so to speak.

There is the famous story about when the troubles first broke out in
Northern Ireland after the civil rights marches. The world press showed
up and nothing was happening so, according to the story, they paid some
kids to start throwing stones at the British soldiers.

There are now many cases where violence is orchestrated for the press.
The press is told where to be and, presto, spontaneous violence of an
irresistibly photogenic nature occurs. Presumably if the press didn't
show much of it might not happen.

Some would like to say there is a difference between the two above
scenarios and others of us have a great deal of difficulty seeing any
difference at all.

John Collier

Replies: Reply from Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca> (Re: [Leica] re: The Decisive Moment is gone)