Subject: Re: [Leica] re: The Decisive Moment is gone
From: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2003 20:31:25 -0500

At 02:55 PM 11/4/2003 -0700, you wrote:

>There are now many cases where violence is orchestrated for the press. The
>press is told where to be and, presto, spontaneous violence of an
>irresistibly photogenic nature occurs. Presumably if the press didn't show
>much of it might not happen.
>
>Some would like to say there is a difference between the two above
>scenarios and others of us have a great deal of difficulty seeing any
>difference at all.
>
>John Collier

John -

You are making my point.  For documentary or news photographs, I do not
participate when my presence is going to make a difference.  When I see
people performing for the camera or changing their behavior because I am
taking photographs, I put the camera down.  I haven't had to do this often
because I try to be unnoticed from the beginning, but if I notice that
people are performing for me, I stop taking photographs and sit quietly
until I'm forgotten. Staged photographs are just that - staged.  Any
photographer who would photograph a staged event as actual news, rather
than make it clear that it was staged because the camera is there, is being
dishonest.  Several newspaper photographers have gotten in trouble for
doing just this.  The distinction should always be made if photographs are
directed or manipulated.

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP
www.tinamanley.com