Subject: Re: [Leica] re: The Decisive Moment is gone
From: sam <sam@osheaven.net>
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2003 11:30:27 -0500

I understood the objection being more in line with the "if a tree falls
in the woods, but there is no one to hear it..." argument. Bringing a
camera to a location is objectively different than there being no
camera. One can hope that subjectively there will be no difference, but
the only way to know for sure that the camera, photographer and
anticipation that they bring makes no difference to the scene is to
remove them. Especially in politically or culturally charged situations
where there might be a temptation to promote a certain point-of-view.
Don't we make statements by the subjects we choose to shoot? Surly it's
more than sunshine and exotic location that send so many photographers
to areas that have naked babies with bloated bellies, mothers with tit
exposed from torn garments and shoeless fathers working fields that
cannot possibly sustain their families. A statement is made by the
photographer when he chooses to aim his or her camera at the muddy
worker or the landowner. It may be a morally good statement, but is is a
statement nonetheless.

Ted, I perfectly accept what you stated in another message about being
effectively unnoticed when on assignment in an industrial location,
hospital, etc. You are there documenting the events taking place, just
as a copyist sets up his copy stand, checks light temperature and
lighting angles to ensure that his copy will be as perfect a replication
of the original as can be had. But all locations are not equal; some are
"disturbed" by the mere presence of a camera.

Sam S

Replies: Reply from Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca> (Re: [Leica] re: The Decisive Moment is gone)
Message from Daniel Ridings <daniel.ridings@muspro.uio.no> (Re: [Leica] re: The Decisive Moment is gone)
Message from Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca> (Re: [Leica] re: The Decisive Moment is gone)