Subject: Re: [Leica] re: The Decisive Moment is gone
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2003 09:38:03 -0800

sam said,"
re: The Decisive Moment is gone

> Ted, I perfectly accept what you stated in another message about being
> effectively unnoticed when on assignment in an industrial location,
> hospital, etc. You are there documenting the events taking place, just
> as a copyist sets up his copy stand, checks light temperature and
> lighting angles to ensure that his copy will be as perfect a replication
> of the original as can be had. But all locations are not equal; some are
> "disturbed" by the mere presence of a camera.<<<

But the success of working in a location where a photographer may make
people uncomfortable is the ability of the photographer to gain their trust
just as Tina does and I've done. And they learn to like us without even
trying, it just happens because of how we relate to them and their ways.
The cool part is when the shoot is done, they want to know how soon you'll
come back for another visit! And my friend that's when you know you've been
successful in their midst!

 No you are not going to arrive and in two or five minutes have everyone
throwing their arms around you like the second coming, but the secret is
very simple really. It's how you treat them as human beings and not objects
to photograph. It's my good fortune to have something that I unconsciously
show or give to people that I'm not going to do them harm with my cameras.

It's not hopping around like some billy goat shooting everything in your
path, it's being quiet, civil and courteous to the peasant, the pauper or
the Prince and in doing so people learn to trust you as another human being
and not a photographer. But once you've gained that trust never ever break
it in any fashion, as you'll never re-gain it!

Yes in some areas of the world where religion plays the key role in attitude
against photography it's almost virtually impossible to get through that
curtain, but it can be opened! It's whom and how you connect for the door to
be opened.

Once that door is opened that's when your ability to move quietly and
courteously with the people makes or breaks the success of your opportunity
to get behind the curtain.

So endth the lesson for this morning. ;-)
ted

Message from Daniel Ridings <daniel.ridings@muspro.uio.no> (Re: [Leica] re: The Decisive Moment is gone)
Message from Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca> (Re: [Leica] re: The Decisive Moment is gone)
Message from sam <sam@osheaven.net> (Re: [Leica] re: The Decisive Moment is gone)