Subject: Re: [Leica] re: The Decisive Moment is gone
From: "Rob Appleby" <rob@robertappleby.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2003 08:13:45 +0100

Quite apart from any comparison between me and Tina, which would be in bad
taste, these are important issues which are seldom addressed. The
cultural/economic motivations for photographing, and for subjects'
participation in being photographed, are powerful and conditioning inputs to
our view of the world.

 Many subjects, even in third world settings, are muych more sophisticated
about this than you might think. For instance, my pictures of the big water
pipes in Dharavi are taken in an area where just about all photographers
visiting Bombay fro a couple of days go to take pictures. It is very hard to
gain any kind of cooperation from people there because they feel oppressed
and exploited by photographers. It was only after many lengthy
conversations, emphasising the fact that I had spent about three months in
Dharavi over several years photographing, that I was able to take the
pictures I did, and people wanted to see me coming back repeatedly before
they would cooperate with me.

- -- Rob

http://www.robertappleby.com
Mobile: (+39) 348 336 7990
Home: (+39) 0536 63001

All outgoing email scanned by
Norton AntiVirus (TM) 2003 Professional Edition.