Subject: Re: [Leica] Journalism, altered photo's, and other ethical debates
From: "Rob Appleby" <rob@robertappleby.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2003 14:15:28 +0100

I think the section on the Vietnam war is particularly interesting (from
what I recall, I read it some years ago). The role of the media in changing
hearts and minds at home was not quite as it is often thought to be,
especially by photographers looking back in nostalgia to the great days of
PJ.

Herman also wrote a terrific series of essays for ZNET about the structural
"bias" in the media's reporting of the ME conflict, which reprises many of
the themes in Manufacturing Consent, amnd takes them a bit further IMO.

One thing I would say, is that MF is a bit too materialistic in its
"propaganda model" approach; it doesn't really give the ideological
(hegemonic) aspects enough weight. After all, the consumers have to be
conditioned at other levels to consume. But as an analysis of the purely
external apects, it's fascinating.

- -- Rob

http://www.robertappleby.com
Mobile: (+39) 348 336 7990
Home: (+39) 0536 63001

All outgoing email scanned by
Norton AntiVirus (TM) 2003 Professional Edition.