Subject: Re: [Leica] some new snaps, a propos
From: Eric Welch <eric@jphotog.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2003 17:09:36 -0800

Okay I can buy that approach. Nothing wrong with that. It's not my taste in
photos, but it certainly was a useful exercise on your part for sure.

I am reminded of one time on the photo desk I was sifting through UPI photos
one night and saw a photo of Jim Nachtwey (who I had just talked to face to
face a couple days before). He had just been beat up by the Israeli police
and had his film confiscated. The photo showed him after release collecting
his film for the Israeli censors.

I guess if you look at both sides of that conflict, it's hardly an ideal
place for photographers to get great photos that tell meaningful truths that
people have seen before. So maybe fewer photographers need to be there until
the performing for cameras stops? There are certainly places that
photographers could go that would do more to inform the public about issues
in which there is a lack of awareness.

on 11/7/03 1:32 AM, Rob Appleby at rob@robertappleby.com wrote:

> I don't think that was exactly the point I was making, but anyway.
>
> After spending quite a while in Palestine over the last couple of years, I
> began to see the whole thing as largely a show, in which the soldiers,
> palestinian civilians, settlers and even the media play their parts. But by
> this I don't mean anything as crude as that they consciously set up
> situations. I think you have to have seen the way stonethrowing, curfew,
> stopping kids going to school etc etc works, to appreciate the ritualistic,
> theatrical atmosphere of the whole, and this is what interests me and what I
> am trying to express in these images. The particular presentation is
> intended to emphasise the pictureness of the pictures, so to speak.

Eric Welch
Carlsbad, CA
http://www.jphotog.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go." - Oscar
Wilde