Subject: Re: [Leica] re: The Decisive Moment is gone
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2003 19:34:11 -0800

Tim Atherton asked:
> > wow Ted, when was the last time the Canadian Government commissioned any
> kind of serious large scale photography project instead of the corporate
> grip and grins they do now...? <<<

Hi Tim,
It was in the days of the National Film Board of Canada, Still Division,
that is before the  A-Hole politicians started screwing around and
completely destroyed the documenting of this Nation!

There hasn't been any in-depth documentaries on Canada and it's people since
about 1970! There have been a few people like myself who've done personal
projects, but nothing like it was shooting for the Board, as I did
in-between magazine assignments for almost 15 years recording life in this
country as well as overseas on Canadian's working abroad.

It was all 35mm, 99.99% Leica with the odd Hasselblad stuff, and pretty well
all available light in the ways of the old school way of shooting.

The champion of this coverage was Lorraine Monk, Executive Producer of the
Still Division. She was affectionately known as "The Dragon Lady!" ;-) And
nobody messed with her! But she did more for still photographers and
photography than anyone in the history of the country. Then politicians and
their knickle and dime small town minds could never understand the value of
photography in recording our country and it's people and unfortunately the
fools shut the Still Division down and in doing so created at the moment, a
30 year gap in how this country has evolved.

One might say "those were the days" for exciting in-depth assignments.

ted