Subject: Re: [Leica] some new snaps, a propos
From: Eric Welch <eric@jphotog.com>
Date: Sat, 08 Nov 2003 00:07:31 -0800

Which only goes to show you still don't understand the fundamental basis of
our argument. The straw man once again makes an appearance. We have no
problem with dodging and burning. Anyone who thinks we do is not paying
attention. Yes, dodging and burning can go too far. The hand of God is
passé, and looks cheesy. But it doesn't deceive in its classic use, where it
is obvious. Thus it is not unethical, just poor technique. When it becomes
deceptive, then it is not ethical. Salgado doesn't use dodging and burning
is such crude style. His work is of a very high order. And perfectly
appropriate.