Subject: [Leica] Cooking Utensils
From: Marc James Small <msmall@infionline.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 18:24:14 -0500

I have mentioned my fine appreciation for coddled eggs.  These are,
effectively, soft-boiled chicken fruit cooked outside the shell.  For many
years, the only egg coddlers available were from the British firm of Royal
Worcester, and an excellent coddler they make.  However, about three years
back, Martha Stewart (she of the US Federal indictment) began to market egg
coddlers and, when my wife brought them to my attention, I made a fool of
myself, wooping and a-hollerin' like a savage.  Martha Stewart sells Jenęr
Glasswerke coddlers.  These clear-glass egg coddlers are made at JENA, the
real home of German optical glass, by what used to be the Schott und
Genosen Glasswerke and which is now, again, owned by the Zeiss Stiftung.
These are the same guys who provided optical glass to Leitz from 1926 until
1950.  AND the coddlers are a clone of a series of 1930 products which
Schott marketed before the Second World War.

Here's how to use them:

Set a high pot of water on the stove to boil.
Melt some butter.
Spread the butter in the egg coddler and lid.
Break an egg into the coddler.  Add salt, pepper, cheese, &c to taste.  (I
normally use a mild cheddar or colby or the like but have been known to
wander over to some Monterey Jack on occasion.)
Put the lid on the coddler and clip it on with the metal clip.
When the water boils, put one coddler in for 7 to 8 minutes, 2 coddlers for
11 to 13 minutes.
Toast some English Muffins and use the rest of melted butter to make them
good and gooey.

I normally have a side of some thick-slab country bacon, and orange juice
and coffee to drink.

Damn!

Marc

msmall@infionline.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315