Subject: Re: [Leica] WTB & Questions on R4S & R4SP bodies
From: Douglas Herr <telyt@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 07:57:49 -0800 (GMT-08:00)

<ejdong@juno.com> wrote:

> Anybody here  who has a spare (-2) or (-3) diopter for the  Leicaflex SL
> (or later R bodies up to R7)

R5, R-E and newer have built-in diopter correction.

> The R4S and R4SP bodies, are they still repairable by Leica USA and do
> they still have spare parts for them?

Yes, service and parts are still available but cost of repairs beyond an ordinary CLA may exceed the value of the camera.  My R4sP was given to me by a friend after he broke the tripod mount and Leica told him the camera was not economically repairable.  (I did the repair myself, my daughter is now using this camera).

> Any advice as to what I should be looking out for in these bodies.
> I am currently using a Leicaflex SL with 50mm Summicron, 35mm and 90mm Elmarit.
> I plan to buy the 19mm when funds are available.

If you have become accustomed to the SL's viewfinder the R4s or R4sP viewfinder will be a disappointment.  One common problem area is the DOF preview lever.  Be sure it's not cracked and that it springs back quickly.  Also check the body with a winder or motor if possible.  If the camera needs a CLA the winder might not always work properly.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com