Subject: Re: [Leica] Webportfolio
From: David Degner <david.degner@wku.edu>
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2003 17:29:16 -0600

Sourceforge is a great place to find quality (and some times not so
quality) code and programs for your computer most of the programs are
written for windows or Linux but there is a growing number for OS X.

It does look a little daunting at first but once you learn the drill it
is as simple as download.com (without all the fees and shareware licenses).

The internet photo galleries are actual source code that you download
onto your computer, unzip, read the README file to configure and then
upload onto a server.  Usually they are written in Perl (which is hard
to configure and buggy) or PHP (which is easy and stable).  I used one
of the PHP scripts to put together www.westernbookexchange.com .  I
started knowing just HTML and Java script and was able to set up and
even add to my website.  I have heard that Gallery is the best way to
put up a photo gallery on the internet and has many features.  They are
coming out with a version 2 sometime soon I think
(http://sourceforge.net/projects/gallery/ or
http://gallery.menalto.com).  You can usually find helpful people or
documentation on their website.

But SourceForge isn't only for internet scripts, it has many full
fledged programs.  For example Miranda IM (instant messaging)  FileZilla
(the best FTP program out there), Bittorrent++(download files from other
users).  Most projects release a pre-made binary so you install them
like any other program, no compiling or work needed.  Each of these when
you find their main page (FileZilla for example
http://sourceforge.net/projects/filezilla/) scroll down to "*Latest File
Releases" and in the "**FileZilla" row click on download.  This will
take you to a confusing looking page of a bunch of rows.  The rows that
are highlighted pink show the files that you may want.
"*FileZilla_2_2_1b_setup.exe
<http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/filezilla/FileZilla_2_2_1b_setup.exe?download>"
is the file you want to click on (FileZilla_2_2_1b_src.zip
<http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/filezilla/FileZilla_2_2_1b_src.zip?download>
is the source code if you reeealy wanted to compile it yourself).  The
you can download the file from, find a place close to where you live and
click on the picture of  ones and zeros that is beside the file-size in
that row (at first I would always click on the host icon and it would
confuse me).  This will reload the page and you should be prompted if
you want to download a file. TaDa now just double click the file and
install it.

Some other cool open source programs

ZMatrix - http://sourceforge.net/projects/zmatrix/ - A really good
dynamic wallpaper of The Matrix running down your screen
OpenOffice - openoffice.org - Replaces and surpasses Microsoft Word,
PowerPoint, Excel and even opens microsofts files.
Mozilla - mozilla.org - Surpasses Internet Explorer with a built in
popup blocker, tabbed browsing, and built by the user for the user
Firebird - http://www.mozilla.org/products/firebird/ - faster and better
than mozilla but not quite as user freindly and still a little buggy

I have blathered enough,
David Degner