Subject: Re: [Leica] Phong's question on large format
From: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2003 19:52:20 -0500

At 07:07 PM 11/16/2003 -0500, you wrote:

>Has anyone ever built one of those kit LF cameras? I saw a kit on ebay for
>$130 and all I would need to buy otherwise is a lens. Not too bad of a way
>to get into it if you ask me.
>

>Dave

I built one from a kit.  It's a 4x5 and I can't remember the name right
now, but I ordered it from the back of a photo magazine.  It takes a lot
longer than you would think to put together.  It works fine.  I used it to
teach photography with 4x5 Polaroid film - instant feedback that you could
get with digital today ;-).   The only thing that I found frustrating was
that the adjustments needed lots of tweaking.  Nothing was very
precise.  In order to keep things from shifting, everything has to be
tightened really tight once you figure out the adjustments.

It is definitely a learning experience and I'm glad I did it, but I
wouldn't do it now.  It's just not my kind of photography - lots of setup
time and great for landscapes or peeling paint but not for people!

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP
www.tinamanley.com

http://www.pdiphotos.com