Subject: Re: [Leica] Dover USAF base photography & military funerals.
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 16:36:26 -0800

Kit McChesney wrote:

> Don wrote:
>
> "My suggestion would be to line up 500 coffins in Grand Central Station
> instead of harassing the bodies of the dead and their families."
>
> Don--
>
> This is a great idea, and something that would be a perfect project for a
> performance artist. If there were a monument built to demonstrate in some
> graphic way--with symbolic caskets--how many had died. In fact, this is what
> artists and journalists are for. Their work can mirror back to people what
> is really happening, what is difficult to see otherwise.
>
> The emotional impact of the Vietnam memorial comes to mind. The only problem
> with that memorial, powerful though it is, is that it came too late. There
> should have been a memorial with names written on it WHILE the war was going
> on. Maybe if people had been able to see how many were dying while it was
> happening, public opinion--which hasn't changed yet because the casualties
> haven't mounted high enough to shock them into reality--would change and we
> could stop the madness.
>
> Kit

I can only think of the memorial in the Oklahoma devastation in which
they used chairs to represent the dead. I hope I got that right.  And an
interesting choice I'm sure the idea of coffins come up but they passed
it up for chairs. Their reasoning being?.... I guess i can think of a
few.  Mainly I'd think they were just going for a less obvious but
hopefully more effective approach.

Mark Rabiner

Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.rabinergroup.com