Subject: RE: [Leica] Dover USAF base photography & military funerals
From: "Kit McChesney" <kitmc@acmefoto.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 20:01:14 -0700

Ruben--

The questions you ask are better answered by a political science class. The
conclusions you raise about why a country or a society is or is not poor
seem a bit backwards. Growing up in the South, I can tell you that some of
the same questions you ask about people from Islamic societies I've heard
asked by intolerant, privileged white folks about those who descended from
the slave system. Perhaps it would be good to ask why people who have been
powerless and colonized for such a long time would want to lash out at those
who have done the colonizing, or who support those who enforce oppressive
governments. Many of the questions you ask, about why this or that in this
or that muslim society, could well be answered, "because Western governments
keep the oppressive rulers in control." Notice that few of these countries
are democracies, and whenever the chance arises for them to become
democratic, it isn't the U.S. that is doing its best to promote the
conversion.

As for "my" president, this person is not my president; he was not elected,
and I did not vote for him. I don't support what he does, and he is not
accountable to the people of the U.S. in any way. I think there is a
difference between the United States and its people, and the United States
and its government. What the people want isn't always what they get. If we
had no constitution and bill of rights, those in power in our country would
probably run as rough-shod over the populace as in any other land.

My point about calling others "they" and classing them as evil, is that when
we do that, we risk making ourselves self-righteous, and therefore blind to
the evil that we ourselves are capable of creating in the world. I can
appreciate your feeling of gratitude and admiration for the U.S., but at the
same time, our society is supposed to be based upon an idea that allows for
many different points of view, and encouraging healthy debate of those
differing ideas. If we cannot criticize our own government, who will?

Kit

==

Ruben wrote:

"Kit,

First of all this is in no way an attack on people of islamic faith nor
on people with aa other ethnic background then my own

"I think that they are definetly they"
I have no respect nor can I in any way feel sorry for people who kills
inocent women and children
I have no respect for people that proclaims a fatwa on you if you
critises their religion
Why is it that all muslim countries are poor
Why is it when a country becomes muslim it turns even poorer
Why is it that in Muslim states analfabetism is so much higher then in
other societys
Why is it that no Mulsim state practice basic Human rights
Why is it that the royal family of Saudi Arabia spend 250 mi USD on
sommer hollyday in spain ech year and the al queda bombs western targets
I do not find that I have problems with freedom of speech - I do think
that woman have the same rights as me
I dont want to force feed "them" anything - I they are just as stupid
after 300 years behind closed doors then fine with me but please do not
force me to deal with individuals who totally lack respect for what  I
stand for.
I think that blaming USA for all evil is far out and I think that so
much good has happend because of the USA
You can vote - you can get your neigbour to vote - you can stop ignoring
homless people - you can accept paying more taxes and get better welfare
- - you are a part of a great nation and have a responsibility to keep on
making it a greater nation - but only because you are a part of a free world
What is by the way wrong in sharing that with other nations
Your current president may be a jerk but if it had not been for USA the
whole world would either been Nazi or Communist
You should be damn proud of that and you should be proud that you live
in a part of the world  were if you really want you can make a difference