Subject: RE: [Leica] Dover USAF base photography & military funerals
From: "Kit McChesney" <kitmc@acmefoto.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 10:41:57 -0700

Sam--

I assumed that David was being facetious when he wrote about slavery being
much diminished. In fact, slavery is still a huge problem all over the
world. There are men and women and children in slavery all over the world.
Ever seen any of Sebastiao Salgado's photographs of gold miners in South
America? If those people aren't enslaved ... well, you get the point.

The reason war is so "robust" as you say, as ever, is because it is comes
from the part of the brain that is the most primitive, that hind-end part we
share with reptiles. But millions of years of evolution have produced that
big, potentially smart, part on the front, the part that allows us to reason
and do something besides scratch and kick and bite when something happens
that we don't like. The part of the brain that produces great works of art
and beautiful music and all the other good work that human beings are
capable of creating. The part of the brain that can be, if one allows it to,
connected to the heart. That's the part of our incredible mind that we
aren't using when we push people down and make them suffer so that later
they can come back and bite us in the proverbial hindparts.

We can do better. There is no doubt that we can do better. But it is
extremely difficult, and that's why people lapse into the lazy option,
fighting. That's why the military contractors and gun manufacturers make so
much money. Because it's easier to shoot than to talk, to make amends, to
make things better. This is what your "empirical evidence" proves. Not that
war "works" or that it is inevitable, but that it's easier than listening
and hearing what someone else is saying when their view or way of life
differs from our own.

I can't believe that you are so cynical that you don't know and believe
this, somewhere deep down inside, in your heart of hearts.

Kit

==

On Behalf Of sam