Subject: [Leica] ham leica radio
From: Kyle Cassidy <KCassidy@asc.upenn.edu>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 18:38:59 -0500

i was big into ham radio for a while, it was so amazingly awesome to be
talking to someone while you were on your way to see them "turn left at the
corner, i'm standing out on the street, can you see me? that's me waving!"
it was mind bogglingly cool. what was _not_ cool was laying in bed and
forgetting to turn the radio off, so you hear this conversation on the local
repeater while you're trying to fall asleep:

"well bob, i'm just, hold on a second here,"
"okay"
"yeah, just shifted into third."
"yeah."
"i'll tell ya, drivers today ... almost cut me right off ... "
"sheesh."
"did you hear tim on today?"
"nah. tim's in plainsfield."
"right. right. picking up those oranges?"
"dialisis."
"right. right. hold on a second here."
"yeah."
"say, you ever get that roll of coax?"
"i was gonna go pick it up thursday."
"yeah."
"never did."
"how much was there?"
"bout 8 feet i think. might get the antenna up on the roof."
"yeah."
"yaknow that durn whatchacallit, building that brick, um,"
"yeah?"
"that building, the bank..."
"first national?"
"no ..."
"second national?"
"um no, not that one,"
"suburban fidelity?"
"nah, the one with the sign,"
"oh yeah."
"it'll come to me in a minute,"
"right. union bank?"
"no. oh, wait, yeah, it's ..."
"yeah?"
"it's the bank of wakefield, that building they put up, it makes a dead
spot, yea know, i can't hit the tower over by abe's place anymore."
"oh yeah."
"so i gotta move my antenna about eight feet."
"yeah."
"gotta get up on the roof. but my hip's not so good."
"no."
"and i gotta get that coax."
"yeah. say, maybe al could help you."
"young al?"
"yeah, young al. he's a great guy."
"yeah. remember his 75th birthday party?"
"ayah."

for about TWELVE HOURS.

once i got a cell phone, i never looked back.

73,

kb2rvy

kc

Replies: Reply from "Jon" <jon.stanton@comcast.net> (Re: [Leica] ham leica radio)