Subject: RE: [Leica] The Hind-End Part of Our Brains
From: Marc James Small <msmall@infionline.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 00:55:28 -0500

At 09:36 PM 11/19/03 -0700, Kit McChesney wrote:

>Good lord, I had no idea! How did you get to be so danged smart? ;-)
>
>But you know what I mean, or meant, though, don't you, metaphorically
>speaking? (Maybe not!)
>
>What happened to that reptilian brain I keep hearing about that we have?
====================

Blame Carl Linnaeus for this one:  he was the original sorter of lifeforms
and was the fellow who developed the use of a generic name coupled with a
species name, as in Lacerta Lacerta or Salamandra Salamandra or Homo
Sapiens and the like.  Linnaeus dumped all of the cold-blooded land animals
into a single class and divided the warm-blooded land critters into two
classes.

Through sheer bloody-minded stubborness, we tend to think of fish producing
amphibians, and amphibians producing reptiles, and reptiles producing bids
and mammals.  But such is not the case.

A better method of classification is "cladistics" which rigidly adheres to
the evolution of traits from older species to newer ones.  This shows that
the proper division should be:

		amapsida	today, turtles
amphiia	.	synapsida	today, mammals
		diapsida	today, lizards and snakes, crocodiles,
				the sphenodon, and birds

Cladistics shows us that birds ARE dinosaurs (as that great paleontologist,
Bakker, has noted:  "the next time you hear a flock of Canadian geese
honking overhead, announce to all in your abode that the dinosaurs are
migrating again").  And when you are watching a robin bobbing about looking
for worms, think of the predatory dinosaurs from which it is descended.

Warm blood was developed early-on by the diapsida and synapsida, roughly
200m years ago.  The anapsida are a bit slower in this regard, as the
Leatherback Turtle is developing warm-blooded circulation as I write these
words.  So much for those who scream for evolutionists to produce the
intermediate forms evolution develops!

Scientists tell us that we are perhaps 50 years from a chronograph (time
travel in view only) and pehaps a century away from true time travel.  This
makes me want to make at least 155 years of age, so that I can take my
Leica IIIc back and get some proper pictures of Tyrannosaurus arguing with
a Triceratops.  I may not be functioning all that well at 155 years of age,
but I KNOW that my IIIc, being a year or two older than me,. will be doing
just fine.  Now, if I can still find FILM in 2103, well, we will have to
wait and see!

The best single source on this stuff is Stephen Jay Gould's THE STRUCTURE
OF EVOLUTIONARY THEORY.  It is tightly written and is overly technical in
parts, but it is a magnificent book.  A rainy afternoon, a pot of tea, and
you can flip through Gould as you might through Gibbon or Lawrence or
Churchill.

Marc

msmall@infionline.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bąs fir gun ghrąs fir!