Subject: Re: [Leica] Digital Leica?
From: Frank Dernie <Frank.Dernie@btinternet.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 08:42:13 +0000

Sorry Peter,
Not on digitals with minuscule sensors (less than 3/8" wide) because
f11 is already causing serious deterioration due to diffraction on 7mm
focal length lenses (and must be difficult to manufacture an iris with
an accurate aperture less than .025" diameter)! These sensors are a
fraction of the size of minox film never mind 35mm, depth of field
effects we are used to are impossible on them. It is surprising how
good the enlargements are from such tiny "negatives" but if you want
35mm type DOF you will need a 35mm size sensor - very expensive at
present, thought the "in betweens" (Nikon, Fuji and most Canon digi
SLRs and Leica in a year or so) are an excellent compromise IME.
cheers
Frank

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com> (Re: [Leica] Digital Leica?)
Reply from Peter Dzwig <pdzwig@summaventures.com> (Re: [Leica] Digital Leica?)