Subject: Re: [Leica] Kenya Safari
From: grduprey@rockwellcollins.com
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 11:45:53 -0600

I have to agree with Ted 100%, the 400 and 560/6.8 lenses are very
exceptional, especially when you realize there are only 2 elements in them.
I do not however have the extender tube for getting the macro ability, and
so far have not seen one up for sale.  Some years ago I did a comparison
with the Canon 500mm lens and my 560, the 560 won hands down, even from my
wife looking at them.  Although the faster speed of the Canon was really
nice, it made me want to get the Leica 280/2.8 for the extra speed and ease
of focus.  Of course if I had the wife would have killed me on the spot!!
;-)

Gene

                      Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
                      Sent by:                            To:       leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
                      owner-leica-users@mejac.palo        cc:
                      -alto.ca.us                         Subject:  Re: [Leica] Kenya Safari

                      11/21/2003 09:54 AM
                      Please respond to
                      leica-users

> >Mark Rabiner asked:
>>What's the longest lens you ever use? (or have)<<<

Tina Manley responded:
> I have the 560/6.8.  I was walking along carrying that on the R6.2 with
the
> shoulder bracket attached and a British gentleman walking past said, "Now
> that's what I call a proper camera!"<<<

Hi Tina,
One of the joys of using the 560mm 6.8 ..... you can carry it and shoot
very
sharp pictures without feeling like you've got a hundred pound lens in
hand.

Fine pictures everyone. I particularly like the Lioness images. And even on
the computer screen there's a sharpness that leaves one to understand the
original must be razor blade sharp. Well done.

I've heard people scoff at the "glass quality" of both the  400 & 560 f 6.8
but I've never had a problem with either of mine for sharpness. They're
great lenses for shooting sports, out door sports that is, as they're a
little slow in apeture for indoor stuff..

Actually amazed myself in the quality when doing "macro" with a 2X extender
and the "macro tube" that fits in the middle of the lens. Or wild and crazy
stuff with the macro adapter, 2x and the lens barrel macro tube all put
together at the same time. Cool pictures! ;-)

Actually some real fun stuff cause if you screw-up it's no big deal as it's
good fun piture taking to just see what happens.:-)

Then people say, "What do you mean shootng macro with a 560mm lens?"  It's
just one of those things of, "don't ask can you do it, just do it!" And
have
fun, not to mention the capturing of some very interesting pictures.

I'm sure if the animals could speak, we'd hear their Leader say, "OK
everybody look sharp here come the picture clowns who want us to look
fierce
and man eating." ;-)
Thanks for posting, I enjoyed them.
ted