Subject: [Leica] DEADLINE I*AQ -answering Jerry's inane remark
From: Sonny Carter <sonc@sonc.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 20:02:51 -0800

JL>  Sonny

JL> Some TV stations here have the nerve to call the camera holders "Photo
JL> Journalists"!  All they do is point the camera where the reporter or director
JL> tells them to!

JL> Jerry

Jerry,

I like to think you are wrong about that.  If you have that attitude, you denigrate
some really fine journalists
who happen to be photographers rather than reporters.

Many times, the photographer is the one to get the story, a producer writes it and
an anchor reads it.

That said, in many many markets there is no team, just the reporter/cameraman
(one person) out there doing the job.

For a number of years, I covered the Louisiana Legislature without a
reporter along.   I covered the Clay Shaw Trial in New Orleans without
a reporter.  I covered the Black Panther Shoot-out in Desire Project
without a reporter.

I covered the Christmas Day fire in New Orleans that killed three
firemen without a reporter.

There were many more instances, but it was more often me showing the
reporter what to do than the other way around.

Finally, I would tell you that when I worked on the Jim Metcalf
Journal at WWL-TV, I would shoot the piece, and Jim would look at my
film and write the story.  For work like that we won one of Channel 4's several
Peabody Awards.

  Sonny
  http://www.sonc.com