Subject: RE: [Leica] DEADLINE IRAQ - Uncensored Stories of the War - CBC
From: Tim Atherton <tim@KairosPhoto.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 10:42:47 -0700

> okay I live way south of the canadian border (unfortunately) and despite
> wishing canada will attack the US because of our weapons of mass
> destruction and
> take over northern california so we become part of canada, it
> hasn't happened
> yet, so, how do I get to see this program?
>

> Kim

I'm pretty sure that someone like PBS/Frontline etc will pick it up in the
near future

It really was a very compelling programme. It wasn't just talking heads and
reminiscences, but also footage of the various types of journalists doing
their work during the conflict - one of the most compelling sections was
John Simpson, a veteran 30 year correspondent from the BBC - travelling
independently with the Kurds, he was tagging along with a US Special
Forces/Kurdish convoy in N Iraq. The Special Forces call in a strike on a
target ahead of them and then gets accidentally bombed themselves by US
Forces instead. Simpson keeps reporting (at one point he brushes off a US
soldier who he thinks is trying to stop him, but is in fact offering first
aid). His assistant/translator has lost both his legs and been killed and
his cameraman keeps filming despite damage an injury to his left eye, which
is a mass of blood at this point - his whole head and face bloody (from the
camera's eye view you see the cameraman wiping his own blood from the front
of the lens). These were not people who where here to kowtow to someone
else's propaganda - they were going to tell the story that was in front of
them.

tim

tim

Replies: Reply from Nathan Wajsman <n.wajsman@chello.nl> (Re: [Leica] DEADLINE IRAQ - Uncensored Stories of the War - CBC)