Subject: RE: [Leica] my favorite martha graham quote
From: "Don Dory" <dorysrus@mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 15:41:50 -0500

Kit, in some sense I have to take issue with you in your quotes about teaching.  The absolute best instructors I ever had were those who knew their subject so well they could come after you any way you needed.  There was no bringing out the best in the students; it was forcing the students to take new roads in their personnel journey.  Not only were new facts and methods sown, but the very way the subject is considered is altered.

Mentoring is only a very small part of teaching, showing the student not only how to take the scales off their eyes, but also to want to is the art of the very best teacher.

As far as learning from students, on the human level which is to say that everyone can teach me something then of course.  However, as far as learning from a student in my areas of expertise then that is exceedingly rare.  When I don't know much more than my students then I am not qualified to be teaching them and very little progress is made in our personal journeys.

In any case, have a good holiday and many thanks for your presence on the list.

Don
dorysrus@mindspring.com