Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: Leica Digilux now cheap cameras
From: "Don Dory" <dorysrus@mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 19:15:58 -0500

I really believe we are in another period of temporary insanity where
large masses of humanity have to have the "it" thing in this case
digital cameras.  The upside is that some really nice equipment will be
available for a really small amount of money: say $10 for a LTM Canon 28
F2.8 in the late 60's.

The other upside is that newbies to photography have the opportunity to
start out with really first rate equipment like I did (original MP,
Canon F1, Mamiya C22) which will influence their decision making process
the rest of their life.

Digital is a very important part of the evolution of photography, but
right now for documenting humans where they work and live is better done
on film at this moment.  For B.D.'s sake, yes, you can uprate your
eod100ish to 1600 with a fast lens.  But they are larger, harder to
focus, and don't look very good at 3200.  I can pick up a beater M6 and
35 something for around $1500 and produce very nice images without a
flash.  Not to mention what older SLR's are going for.

In parting, why not start your child on the evil path with a Leica or a
professional SLR?  He or she is less likely to break it and besides, you
could hardly sell it for much anyway.

Don
dorysrus@mindspring.com